Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

My Favorite Shows

I've never been a huge TV person. Growing up, I had a few favorite shows, but rarely watched more than an hour or so a day. In college, I never had a TV in my room, so I almost never watched TV. When James and I got married and I was in seminary, we didn't have cable and of course I was busy studying, working, and being a newlywed. In fact, I didn't begin watching much TV at all until we moved to Danville and I found myself alone at nights whenever James was teaching an evening class. The fall and spring he was working in Norfolk, I developed a few favorites and would either watch them at night or while I was pumping for Susanna.

My TV-watching came to a halt when I began my CPE residency, because I just didn't have the time. However, last fall , when James installed SageTV, I was able to "reunite" with my favorite shows. I record them and then watch them when I have a chance; while exercising, at night after the kids go to bed, or while cleaning up the kitchen and family rooms.

So, here are my favorite shows, and why I like them:
  • "Fringe"- James got me hooked on this, and it's a show we both like. It's very sci-fi and features a "mad scientist" of sorts and an FBI team that investigates paranormal events. Its very different, and that's why I like it so much. 
  • "House"- Another show that James and I watch together. Dr. House may be a rather arrogant SOB, but he's brilliant and the last few seasons have shown his human side. One of the reasons I like the show is that I wish that I could be as direct as he could and get away with it. 
  • "Desperate Housewives"- My dad actually got me hooked on this show, believe it or not. At first I scoffed at it, but now I find it very entertaining and also a good indicator of human nature. I've also had a good number of "that'll preach" moments while watching it. I'm also simply addicted to the storyline at this point. 
  • "Grey's Anatomy"- So many people I knew were watching this, so I thought I'd check it out. I eventually got hooked. I enjoy medical dramas because I spend a decent amount of time in hospitals and am intrigued by medicine. I know that "Grey's" and "House" are not entirely realistic, of course. The constant game of musical sexual partners grates on me, but I will say that I have had more "that'll preach" moments while watching "Grey's" than any other show. 
  • "Private Practice"- This is a spinoff of "Grey's" and I really just watch it for pure entertainment value. 

No comments: