Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Sermon for June 17: "Open Your Hearts"



Yesterday was my last Sunday at Oak Grove. I haven't been on staff there, but I've been part of that community for almost three years, and it has become so incredibly special to me. I preached at both services, since Randy's last Sunday was last week, and he's enjoying well-deserved vacation time before beginning his new ministry at Courthouse Community UMC. The sermon I preached is below, after the "jump". Feedback is always welcome.







Rev. Patti Money
Oak Grove UMC
June 17, 2012
Ezekiel 36:24-28
“Open Your Hearts”

            There’s something that can easily happen to those of us who have been followers of Jesus a long time…say, more than five or ten years. Those of us who grew up in Christian families and grew up going to church are especially susceptible to this. I’m going to call it the “plastic Jesus” effect. We get into a rut. We come to church every week, we go to small group or Sunday School, we are involved in ministries, we sing the songs, we pray the prayers…but they have little effect on us. Our faith gets taken for granted. And instead of having a faith that centers around a Jesus who is alive and whose love and teachings fuel our passion for everything we do…our Jesus becomes plastic. 

[Play “Plastic Jesus” video”]

            If you’ve been part of the church for most of your life, I’d be shocked if you haven’t had a time in your life when your Jesus became plastic. In fact, if you’re sitting there thinking, “I don’t know what Patti is talking about. This doesn’t apply to me,”, then I challenge you to dig a little deeper into your life and into your soul...and see what you find.
            From a distance, the difference between what is alive and what is not alive is not obvious. How often do we lean close to flowers in a vase to sniff and see if they’re alive or fake? Have you ever picked up a piece of fruit in a bowl, only to find that it’s plastic? But there is a difference…a plastic orange is just for decoration…but a real orange is a nutritious fruit that will nourish your body, give you energy to go about your life, and give you a good dose of vitamin C to keep you healthy.
            When our Jesus becomes plastic, when we stop allowing God’s love to transform our hearts, our minds, and our lives on a daily basis…our hearts become hard.
OGWorship06172012_brokenheart.jpg[show this slide]
Our hearts become like stone. A stone heart can’t feel love. A stone heart can’t give love. A stone heart can’t be changed. A stone heart can’t grow. However, we serve a God whose mission is to make all things new and who can transform even the stoniest of hearts. Listen to this reading from the book of Ezekiel:
[Show scripture slides]
            The book of Ezekiel comes from the Old Testament…the first part of the Bible. Ezekiel was a prophet…someone who spoke God’s truth to God’s people, who pointed them to what would happen in the future. During Ezekiel’s time, God’s people…the Israelites…were in exile. Over time, they had stopped making their relationship with God and their faith the center of their lives. They had begun to take God for granted, and God became less real to them. Their hearts had become like stone. As a result, they had ceased to be the people God had called them to be…a light to the world, a testament to God’s power, God’s love, and God’s holiness. Eventually, they were invaded by a foreign nation. They had been forcibly removed from their home, had their cities destroyed, and sent to this strange land. They were living in a foreign land called Babylon…in the vicinity of modern-day Iraq. They lived there for seventy years…free to move about their assigned area and go about their daily lives, but prisoners nonetheless.
            OGWorship06172012_stones.jpg[show this slide]
Into this place of despair, God gave them a word of hope. This was not how the story of the Israelites would end: being captives in a foreign land. God was going to bring them out of exile, out of Babylon, and back to their home. God was going to forgive them for their sins. God was going to replace their old hearts of stone with brand new hears of flesh that were alive and beating. And through all of this, God would restore God’s relationship with them and turn them back into the people that God had called them to be.
Living in the 21st century and having the perspective of the entire Bible, we know that God fulfilled that promise. Not only did the Israelites return to Israel, have their cities and lives rebuilt, and have their relationship with God restored…but God continued to show love and grace and mercy to them…and continues to show it to us. Several hundred years after this passage was written, God came down in human flesh in the person of Jesus, whose life, death, and resurrection gave us the possibility of forever having our hearts of stone turned into hearts of flesh and forever having the freedom to make the choice to be God’s people, to do things God’s way, to be God-willed and not self-willed. It’s an amazing, incredible, mind-blowing gift that God has given us. The possibility of being transformed from who we are and who we have become to who God is calling us to be…which is more than we could ever imagine.

But, for those of us who have been Christians for a long time, who have been part of the church for a long time…it’s easy for us to take all of that for granted. It’s easy for us to take God for granted, to take Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection for granted…to forget about God’s power to transform lives. It’s easy for our Jesus to become plastic, for our hearts to become stone.        
Sometimes, when we experience the ugly side of the church and the ugly side of Christians, we are left with wounds. And our instinct is to protect ourselves, to encase our hearts in a shell…to wrap them in stone. If we don’t expose ourselves, we can’t be hurt. We can’t be disappointed. Our hearts can’t be broken…because stone hearts don’t break.
A stone heart is safe. A stone heart can’t feel love. A stone heart can’t give love. A stone heart can’t be changed. A stone heart can’t grow. A real heart…a heart of flesh…feels pain and compassion. A real heart is open to giving and receiving God’s love and the love of people. A real heart grows and changes. A real heart can be hurt and experience pain. A real heart is exposed and vulnerable. And in our human nature, it is our tendency, even here in the church-especially here in the church where we openly acknowledge that there is something wrong with us, that we are sinners in need of God’s grace-to want to put up barriers around our hearts and lives to protect ourselves from being hurt.
The problem with that is that as followers of Jesus, we have an opportunity to live our lives with a passion and purpose that is not our own. The problem is that being safe and putting up barriers to our hearts…not letting others in, not letting God in, does not allow God to transform us into who God is calling us to be, the person we need to be to partner with God to change the world.
The reality is, in order to fully experience God’s love and power in our lives, we need to be in relationships with other followers of Jesus. Ann Voskamp is a best-selling author who wrote a book called 1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. She also writes regular blog posts on her website, and a few months ago she posted a blog titled, “Why You Need to Find Community, Even When You Are Really Hurting.” I want to share a few sentences of that post with you:
Love is a skill that can’t be learned in seclusion. Love is a tree, each person a branch. And a pile of cut off branches doesn’t make a tree. Love can only be comprehended in community. You need imperfect people in your life to perfect your practice of love. There are no solitary saints; all sanctification [the process of becoming who God wants us to be] is forged in community. The chance to love imperfect people is another chance to perfect His love in me.

            It is only by being in relationship with other followers of Jesus that we can become who God is calling us to be. It is only by being in relationship with others that we can fully experience God’s love and grace…that God can turn our hearts of stone into hearts of flesh…and keep them that way.
But we have to be willing to open our hearts to God and others…
 OGWorship06172012_handsheart.jpg [show this slide]
My family has been here at Oak Grove for almost three years. I’m United Methodist clergy, but have been on “family leave” and working as a chaplain for the past four years. My first church…my first experience as a pastor…was a really painful experience for me and for my family. I’m not going to get into the gory details, but when I left that church in May 2008 I was very hurt, angry, and confused. I didn’t know what I was going to do for the rest of my life, but I knew one thing for sure: I was NEVER going to be a pastor again. No. Maybe I’d be a hospital chaplain. Maybe I’d be a stay-at-home mom. I was definitely not going to be a pastor again.
Ahem. One week from today, barring any unforeseen changes, I will be officially appointed as the new pastor of the Cheriton Charge on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Two weeks from today, I will be standing in the pulpit as their new pastor. I will be a pastor again. How did that happen again?
God brought me and my family to Oak Grove at a time when I was running from God and running from the church. I had built walls of stone around my heart to protect myself-I had actually done it even before I was a pastor, which was part of the reason I failed as a pastor. After that experience, the walls got even higher and thicker. I didn’t want to experience that hurt again, and keeping other people and even God out seemed a logical solution to prevent being hurt. But, I was miserable. I was going through the motions of faith. For over a year, we came to worship, we sat on our comfy chairs in the 11:00 service, we sang the songs, we prayed the prayers, and then we went home. That was it. That was the extent of our church involvement…until something amazing happened. God began breaking through, and taking down the barriers of my heart. And God did it in and through this community of faith…people giving me nuggets of compassion and grace and love…showing love to Susanna and then Greg…smiles of recognition…knowing my name and remembering things that I had told them…inviting me to be more involved…seemingly insignificant things that, over time, made a huge difference. My heart of stone began to turn to flesh. OGWorship06172012_hatchingheart.jpg[show this slide]
We began to feel more connected…we attended Oak Grove Q&A, joined the church, and had our baby baptized. I began to restore my relationship with God, to pray again on a regular basis, and to actually be engaged in worship and during Randy’s sermons. I began reaching out to people and became more willing to offer myself and leave myself vulnerable. And then something amazing happened…God began reminding me in a very real and powerful way that I had been called, and was still called, to be a pastor, and God told me in not-so-gentle terms that I needed to take the steps necessary to return to full-time ministry…as a pastor. Saying “yes” to God…again…and doing what I needed to do to be a pastor again was the scariest, bravest, hardest, but also most rewarding thing that I have done in my 35 years on this earth. It was scary because I knew that I would be hurt again. It was scary because I didn’t know where I would be or what would happen. And it was scary because in order to become the person and pastor that God’s called me to be, I had to step out of my comfort zone and reach out to people, leave myself vulnerable, open myself to God’s voice, and acknowledge some areas of my life that needed to change. It was hard. At times, it was extremely painful. It’s not really enjoyable being the liturgist at 8:15, sitting in front of the entire congregation, and having tears run down your face because God just hit you with a spiritual two-by-four during the sermon. It’s rather anxiety-inducing to share your story of failure in ministry with a fellow clergy person whose sermons have made you cry. It’s scary to offer to lead a small group on “Glimpses of the Gospel in Harry Potter” when you’re afraid that no one will sign up for it…because that’s what happened when I offered a small group study at my church.
It’s been a rough two or so years in some ways. And it’s so, so difficult to say goodbye to you and go on the next step of my journey. However…when I look at who I was two years ago, or even one year ago, and see who I am now…how God has transformed me and is transforming me…it’s all worth it. The pain, the fear, the anxiety, and the change has all been worth it because I am becoming who God is calling me to be, and there is a peace that passes understanding and supercedes all the other stuff. I feel free.
OGWorship06172012_freedom.jpg [Show this slide]
It was like my heart has been changed from stone to flesh.
How’s your heart these days? Stone or flesh?
How’s your Jesus? Plastic or real?

In the book of Revelation, the very last book of the Bible, Jesus tells us that he is standing at the door, knocking…asking us to let him in. Knocking on the door to our heart, asking us to open our heart…
…So we can experience God’s love
….So we can be transformed and made new
….So we can share God’s love with others
….So others can be transformed and made new.
One of the most well-loved Christian artists in the past few decades was Rich Mullins, who died in a car crash about 15 years ago. One of his lesser-known songs is called “The Hatching of a Heart”. Watch this video, listen to the words, and hear God speaking to you…

[Play “Hatching of a Heart” video]

OGWorship06172012_handsheart.jpg [Show this slide]

Getting a new heart is hard work. It’s painful. But we don’t do it alone: we do it in community, and most importantly, we do it with God, who is in the business of making all things new.
Open your hearts, Oak Grove. Open your hearts to God, who seeks to love you as you’ve never been loved, to fill your hearts and lives with an overflowing love, and to transform your life more than you could ever imagine. Open your hearts to each other, to give and receive love. Open your hearts to the world, to share God’s love with everyone you met.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

What a wonderful story, Patti! I remember some of the pain you experienced, and I'm so glad you found healing through God's people. Thank you for sharing.