I sort of have a self-confidence problem. When I mention this, I tend to get two different reactions. Reaction #1 (usually from people who know me well) is usually: "[snort] Really? I hadn't noticed." Reaction #2 (usually from people who don't know me as well) is: "Really? You seem so confident and self-assured."
But yes, I have issues with self-confidence, especially when it comes to personal and professional relationships. It's gotten better over the years and I can mask it when I need to (which is why I have no problem entering a total stranger's hospital room and engaging them in deep conversation), but it's still there. Even when it comes to the Internet, which is why I rarely comment on people's blogs. It's not because I don't want to, but because I have this neurotic fear that I'll say something totally stupid and they'll laugh and call me names through their computer screen. And I'll be shut out of the virtual lunch table or something. Yeah, even I think that's ridiculous.
So, I've decided to change that. There are a number of blogs that I have been reading and following for a while (as long as two or three years) and I have rarely, if ever, commented on them for the precise reasons above. These aren't people like Stephanie and Alyssa, both of whom I know in real life (although I haven't seen them in over four years). They're simply people whose blogs I enjoy reading and (frequently) have benefited from reading them in some way. But a few things have recently occurred to me. First, that unless I post a comment that is obscene or really really weird, I have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is...nothing. After all, most of these fellow bloggers are also mothers and wives, so they have something better to do than talk about Patti and her silly comments. Right? Right. Second, as a blogger myself, I know how much I value comments (HINT, HINT) because it shows that people are reading my posts and appreciating what I read. I also appreciate people linking to my blog and the increased traffic it brings.
The potential benefits (new friendships, new knowledge, increased traffic) of my commenting on blog posts, following new people on Twitter, and commenting on Tweets are more numerous than any potential drawback (and the only one I can think of is absolutely nothing changing, which isn't exactly a drawback.)
So, this week I have made, and will continue to make, a concerted effort to comment on every blog that I have been reading on a regular basis. And if you have been lurking on my blog, or are a new reader, could you please leave a comment? Thanks!
5 comments:
I wish I could actually stick to a schedule for posting in my blog. It's severely neglected :(
Your blog is always great! I can hear you as I read it.
Good for you. I think motherhood empowers us. I felt the same as you for years and years and the responsibility of raising nice children to become nice, responsible adults gave me the courage to speak up. I am proud of my accomplishments as a mother and proud of my children.
And I love the virtual lunch table.
well....here I am. but I think I've been leaving comments on what you write for awhile?
Terri...yes, you're a fantastic commenter, and I greatly appreciate it. I'm going to try and be more diligent about returning the favor. (:
Sorry, my problem is reading blogs in my google reader via my iphone. I enjoy reading your blog as well! I'm enjoying your posts!!
Post a Comment