Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Disney Trip Day 4: Mickey, and Segways, and Boma, Oh My!

On Wednesday, Susanna and I woke up bright and early to attend the Chef Mickey's breakfast at the Contemporary Resort. It's a character breakfast, so we got to interact with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto. I think Donald may have been there, too. The food was scrumptious, and Susanna wore her Belle dress (a hand-me-down from cousin Kaitlin), which led to us and everyone else referring to her as "Princess Susanna". (NOTE: We had decided to NOT do the Princess Breakfast because it costs a lot more, and we wanted to wait until she might have a chance of really remembering it.) Susanna's reaction to the characters ranged from ambivalence to absolute terror, but Josh absolutely loved them.

After breakfast, we headed back to the resort to check on James, who had stayed behind because he was feeling pretty rotten. We were hoping he would be feeling slightly better, because as their birthday present to James, Joel and Melissa had booked a Segway tour of Fort Wilderness for both of "the boys" and it was scheduled for 11am. James is a trooper, so he grabbed his Gatorade and went on the tour. While the boys were exploring Ft Wilderness, Melissa and I took the kids to Downtown Disney and did some shopping. We also ate at Earl of Sandwich, which was quite tasty. Once we ate, the boys were done with their tour and Susanna was fading fast (she needed a nap, and was getting very fussy), so we left. We picked up the boys and Susanna and I went back to the resort for a nap while Melissa took everyone else back to Downtown Disney for lunch (the boys hadn't eaten yet) and more shopping.

That evening, we had dinner reservations at Boma, which was at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. James' stomach wasn't feeling up to African food and Joel wasn't hungry yet (they hadn't eaten until 2pm, and it was just after 6pm), so Melissa and I took the kids to dinner and left the boys at the resort. It was a buffet, but Disney buffets are in a class by themselves. The quality and variety of the food is excellent, and Boma was no exception. I could have stayed and eaten all night, but our kids wouldn't allow that, and I think Melissa (the driver) would have gotten a little impatient, too. Susanna's favorite part was the fresh fruit, including strawberries and cataloupe (her faves). If you go, I highly recommend the carrot-ginger soup and zebra domes, among many other items.

Once we rolled ourselves back to our rooms, we said goodnight and headed to bed/our own devices. The next day we were planning on another character breakfast and some time in the Animal Kingdom.

No comments: