Pages

Thursday, February 07, 2008

The other patient

I mentioned in an earlier post that Woody is sick, too. He's been diagnosed with a kidney infection, which will hopefully be cleared up soon. That's been an interesting aspect to the drama of this week...

On Tuesday (remember, that's the day I was sick as a dog and running a fever), I noticed that Woody was walking sort of funny. He also seemed to be in pain. This worried me, so I called the vet, who told me to bring him in. So I took him to the vet after Susanna's doctor's appointment (she's fine; she just had a persistent diaper rash). The vet wanted Woody to stay so they could "observe" him. Sure, no problem. Five hours later, I called to see how he was doing. The receptionist said that the vet was out (maybe on a large animal visit) and would call me when she got back. Two hours later, the vet called me and said that she thought that Woody might have a urinary tract infection, and his kidney function was below normal. They wanted to keep him overnight.

When I picked Woody up Wednesday morning, the vet told me that it looked like Woody's kidneys weren't functioning as well as they should be. She thought it might be due to an infection. So, she sent Woody home with two weeks' worth of antibiotics and a special food to help his kidneys. I get to bring him back in two weeks, when they'll check his kidney function again.

He seems to be doing OK, although he's obviously not in top form. He hasn't engaged in the usual play with Simon. Hopefully this medicine and special food will make him "all better" soon. We want our healthy boy back!

No comments: