Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Perks of Country Life

James is, without contest, the "green thumb" in the family. I, on the other hand, am excellent at killing anything that grows. So, this spring James decided to plant a vegetable garden. We borrowed a tiller, bought some plants (tomatos, peppers, and cucumbers), and even erected a small fence around the garden.

Fast forward three months...the cucumbers and two pepper plants were eaten by rabbits. The tomato plants (about six) and other two pepper plants are doing just fine. Especially the tomato plants!! James went out today and picked all the ripe tomatos. He filled a 3-gallon bucket AND a large colander! It looks like there will be some more ready within the next few days, especially since it rained today.

Therefore...we have started making sauces and canning them. James made four pints of marinara sauce today, and I'm going to be making salsa tomorrow (probably more than four pints, because we have at least 30 tomatos left over). We'll probably make some more marinara sauce (good for pizza, pasta, and lasagna) with any other red tomatos. If the yellow tomatos keep producing at this rate, we'll have enough salsa to last us for years...

1 comment:

Ruth W. said...

I hope all is well with you both, I know the baby is due very soon. What a happy time for you both.