Pages

Friday, July 06, 2007

Needed: New Pharmaceutical Inventions

I'm allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins (which are the cousins of penicillin). We found this out when I was 10, after a "fun-filled" summer where I had hives for 90 days. Therefore, I've always been slightly limited in the medicines I can take for bacterial infections...the doctor usually has about five or six options, tops, that he/she can work with. However, apparently it's worse when you're pregnant and have drug allergies...

Up until a few weeks ago, I had really been blessed to have a very healthy pregnancy. I didn't even get a cold all winter! However, during Annual Conference (June 10-14) my allergies started bothering me (or so I thought). I had a sore throat and a cough. Once I got home, I started taking Claritin, since I felt fine otherwise. A few days later, the sore throat and cough got worse and were joined by nasal congestion and "yucky cold feeling". I checked with my OB-GYN, who told me to self-medicate with stuff off my "safe meds list." So I started taking Robitussin DM. It helped, but the cough would interrupt my sleep and keep me (and James) up at night. I called my PCP (Primary Care Physician) who acted like they didn't want to touch me with a ten-foot pole, and wanted my OB-GYN to take care of things. Of course, my OB-Gyn wanted me to talk to my PCP. Since I was feeling OK, I kept taking my Robitussin and hoped it would go away.

Fast forward to yesterday...Wednesday night, I woke up with coughing spells several times at night. James demanded that I go to the doctor. Yesterday, I called my PCP at 9:00 a.m., described my symptoms, and begged for an appointment. The response: they didn't have any appointments until Monday AND wouldn't give me anything, anyway. I was FURIOUS. I called my OB-Gyn, who told me to go to any PCP, and to feel free to give them her name and phone # if they desired to consult with her.

So, I got dressed and headed over to PrimeCare (our drop-in urgent care center). Three hours later, I emerged victorious with a diagnosis of mild bronchitis and a prescription for erythromicin (which is apparently the ONLY "safe" drug for pregnancy to which I'm not allergic).

Of course, my little excursion ate up most of my day, since I had to go to the pharmacy and then (since I was in town and we desperately needed TP) Wal-Mart. Simon had obedience class last night (we're still working on "heel" and "stay", but everything else is great), which took up my evening. So today I have to: write (or at least make headway on) my sermon, plan a worship service, finish all my thank-you notes for the shower, finish writing the first session of a Bible Study...and I'm sure I can think of more!

I'll be sure and get lots of sleep tomorrow night and Saturday night. I think I may take Monday off just to sleep and take it easy. I don't want this to get any worse...At least I can do almost everything sitting down with my feet propped up!

So...if there are any budding pharmacists out there...would you please get to work on developing a new drug that is safe for pregnant women who are allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins? I'd really appreciate it!!

No comments: