Pages

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Welcome to the third trimester!

I love Susanna...I am blessed to be pregnant...I can't wait to be a mom...How much longer?

I am now in my third trimester of pregnancy and am "enjoying" everything that goes with it. The symptoms began showing up around week 25. Apparently I am doomed to be uncomfortable (at best) or miserable (at worse) for the next 10-13 weeks. I hit "term" on August 11, even though my due date isn't until September 1. Maybe she can be an early birthday present for her Uncle Bart? Now, on to my recital of symptoms...

First, I began getting Braxton Hicks contractions. At first, they were no big deal. I simply felt my uterus tighten for 20-30 seconds, and then it went away. This happened maybe five times a day. On Pentecost Sunday, I began to feel them fairly strongly while I was serving Communion to my beloved flock. My back hurt/felt stiff, too. They stopped that afternoon, but began again on Monday. I called the doc on Tuesday morning, and they said if they became regular and intense, to head to Labor & Delivery so I could be monitored. Well...Tuesday night they came back, and really seemed intense and were fairly regular. Being the paranoid first-time mom that I am, I made James take me to L&D. Keep in mind that right before this I had consumed about 40 oz of water and lain on my side for 30 mins, to no avail. The nurses at L&D were very nice; they hooked me up to a contraction monitor and a fetal monitor and gave me a shot to stop the contractions. One of them gave me a cervical exam to verify that I was still "corked" and hadn't begun dilating. Of course, my contractions stopped almost as soon as I set foot on the unit (I guess the water and rest did their job). I'm sure they were having a good laugh at my expense. After two hours, they released me and told me to come back if my water broke, regular contractions began, or I had any vaginal bleeding. On Thursday, the contractions came back. They were still irregular, but more severe and slightly painful. I even felt some of them in my back. More of the same on Friday. Saturday and Sunday weren't as bad, and I've had hardly any today or Monday. Apparently part of the trick is to drink lots of water. I've been doing that, and it's helped. So does sitting with my feet propped up every few hours.

Second, I have back pain/stiffness if I stand or move around for more than 15-20 minutes. This is only helped by me sitting/lying down with my feet propped up. Warm baths help, too. If I ignore the warning signs, I start to feel aches and cramping. I may need to invest in a maternity belt before too long. I've already forsaken fashionable shoes for sneakers and Birkenstocks. Of course, most of my shoes are tight because my feet/ankles are swollen...especially my left foot/ankle. I'm thinking that from now on, I'll stand to preach and preside over Communion, and have lay people do everything else. Otherwise, I may find myself needing to be carried out on a stretcher by 12pm.

I'm also short of breath a lot, which is highly annoying, yet normal. It takes me awhile to get to sleep, because I'm supposed to sleep on my left side, which I find uncomfortable. Most of the time I just flop over to my right side, because I figure that's better than sleeping on my back. Of course, it takes a minute for me to change positions, since I'm slightly awkward right now. I think James may kill me one of these days...or knock me out with a sledgehammer. Lack of sleep doesn't help my slight fatigue...I hope it doesn't get as bad as it was during the first trimester.

The good, reassuring news is that I feel Susanna moving a lot, so I know she's doing well. Seeing her at the end of this journey will make it all worth it...hopefully the weeks will fly by!

No comments: