Pages

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Off to Annual Conference!!!

Tomorrow afternoon, James and I head to Roanoke for the 225th Virginia Annual Conference. It's the annual gathering of all the United Methodist clergy in (most of) Virginia and an equal number of lay delegates. Last year I was a "rookie", so this year I know more of what to expect. On Monday night, I (along with 20 or so other clergy) will be commissioned as a probationary elder. I get to have one clergy representative (an ordained elder-my friend Amanda) and one family representative (my beloved husband) up there with me when I'm commissioned. My mom is also coming up to see the big event. Dad and Bart are saving their energy for my ordination in three (or so) years.

This year, I'm also looking forward to serving as an "Assistant Secretary" for the whole event. Basically, myself and one other guy take turns being on the stage and helping the Conference Secretary (a clergy person who gets elected/appointed for several years) accurately write down the daily proceedings, catching names, and verifying data. I was honored to be asked, and I'm looking forward to the experience. I think I'll learn a lot. A nice perk of the job: I got a free hotel room for four nights!

It will be nice to see some clergy friends whom I haven't seen in a few months and catch up with them. I'm also hoping to get some good ideas about evangelism projects to bring back to my church. The theme this year is, "Let's Get Growing: All for Jesus!" There's going to be an Evangelism Expo on Tuesday and Wednesday, so hopefully that will provide some "food for action."

Susanna is doing well; she likes to kick her mommy and perform somersaults. On June 18 I have my test for Gestational Diabetes, which I'm praying I "pass". I go for a third ultrasound on June 25; my placenta was sort of low (close to my cervix) at my 19-week ultrasound, so they want to see where it is now. There's an excellent chance it might have moved up (and away from the cervix), but my doctor wants to make sure. Fine by me...if it's low enough, they'll diagnose placenta previa, and that would place all sorts of restrictions on me...

No comments: