How I Spent My Monday Morning by Patti Money
I arrived at Blackstone (the Virginia Conference retreat center) around 7:30 p.m. on Sunday with a blistering sinus headache. I had originally planned to look over my papers and prepare for the interviews on Sunday evening, but my pounding headache made that impossible. So I took some Tylenol and went to bed at 8:30.
The next morning was long and nerve-wracking, but not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Yes, I did have to be interviewed by four separate committees for 45 minutes each. And yes, the Theology interview was fairly grueling, especially since I hadn't prepared for it adequately (see above). But the men and women on the B.O.M. are not "out to get" the probationary candidates. The atmosphere was actually very supportive and encouraging. Every interview opened and closed with prayer, and the morning began with devotions with all the Board members and candidates. The fact that I stayed for lunch AFTER my interviews were over should say something about the positive aspect of the experience.
I should find out the results either today or tomorrow. If I am "approved", I will be commissioned in June and will begin my three-year period as a probationary member. If I am "continued" in one or more of the four areas, then I will have to reapply next year. The good news is that I won't have to go through the whole process again; I'll basically have to re-do the paper and the interview. And I will be able to attend Licensing School and receive an appointment as a full-time local pastor. So it won't be the end of the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment