Pages

Saturday, December 04, 2010

On Ecumenism: Just Call Me Christian

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Ephesians 4:5-6

When someone asks me, "what are you?" in regard to my faith, I usually respond, "United Methodist," because that seems like the clearest, most straightforward answer. It's certainly true: I've been a member of the United Methodist Church for 20+ years, attended (and have a degree in religion from) a United Methodist college, my seminary student body was two-thirds United Methodist, and I am, of course, on the track for ordination in the United Methodist Church. It's where I feel most at home theologically.

However, saying that I'm United Methodist doesn't tell my whole faith story any more than saying I grew up in Northern Virginia tells my whole life story (see the "about me" section for more info on that subject). My mom was raised in a faithful Catholic home, and while she left the Church when she married my dad (a divorced non-Catholic), she certainly did not leave God or the church. For the first 12 or so years of my life, my family attended non-denominational, charismatic churches. James and I were married in an Episcopal church (I had been working there for almost two years) by a Baptist campus minister, with a United Methodist pastor celebrating the Eucharist. I've experienced some of the most awesome worship of my life at a Catholic church in Georgetown (my friend Joe took me*, and I returned on my own several times. It was awesome to the point where I gave brief thought to converting, but there are four or five theological/polity issues that need to be resolved before I would seriously consider it**) and at Taize. I am currently praying the Christmas Novena for an intention very close to my heart. I have found the grace, love, and peace of God in Jesus Christ, revealed through the Holy Spirit, in every Christian tradition of which I've been a part in some way, shape, or form. In other words, I'm sort of a "religious mutt in the Christian tradition." I am highly ecumenical, and feel like I am blessed because of it.

Therefore, I always get a little confused/exasperated/incensed (pick your word, depending on the situation) whenever I run across individuals or groups who, instead of embracing other Christians as sisters/brothers in Christ, question the authenticity or strength of the faith of others or even their salvation because of differing beliefs. I once had a friend (who is one of the most faithful Christians I know, and a cradle Lutheran) tell me that someone from a large, well-known Campus Ministry Organization spent ten minutes challenging his friend's salvation once they found out he was Lutheran. I have another friend who was raised (and still is) Catholic who, while in college, spent a significant amount of time with the Baptist student ministry (while still attending Mass at the Catholic campus ministry and remaining connected with that community). While on a mission trip with his baptist friends, he mentioned to some church person that he grew up Catholic. Their response, "Well, at least you're Christian now." Apparently they thought that the two were mutually exclusive. I guess it's good that he didn't tell them that he was still Catholic, huh?

I really have two main criteria for deciding if someone is a fellow Christian. Technically, it's really just one criterion with added clarification: 
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. Romans 10:9-10


My added clarification (if I'm gonna be really strict) is that if you can agree with the contents of the Nicene Creed (click on the link if you're not familiar with it), or at least the Apostles' Creed, then I know we have enough in common, belief-wise, that I will consider you a brother or sister in Christ, regardless of whether you are Catholic, Episcopalian, Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist, non-denominational, Baptist, etc, etc. Of course, it goes without saying that salvation is completely within God's realm: it is not up to me to decree if someone is "saved" or not. I do believe that when we all get to heaven, there will certainly be many people present who we Did Not expect, and probably even more people absent who we DID expect. However, I do believe in drawing the line SOMEWHERE, and that explains what I wrote above, because it's the criteria the Christian Church has been using for the past 1500+ years.

I guess my bottom line is, if we're all essentially on the same team (Go team Jesus!), then why do we WASTE so much time and energy fighting over doctrine, polity, and practice, when we could really and truly UNITE and totally rock this world with the love of Christ?

*Joe and I have been friends for 11 years now. We first met through ICQ (anyone remember that?), because he was apparently looking for a new friend (Joe is always meeting new friends; he could be in a room of terrorists and within an hour or two will have become friends with half of them and be engaged in a discussion on Mid-Eastern cuisine and which restaurant in Riyadh has the best hummus. I say all that with a great deal of affection), and I had somehow put my settings on "open to random chat." We met in person several days later, and he subsequently introduced me to the best frozen custard in the world and did wonders for my understanding and appreciation of Catholics and the Catholic Church. He got married about six years ago to a lovely woman who I think is absolutely perfect for him (although I've only seen her three times) and they have a lovely little girl who is about a month younger than Greg.

**The biggest two are: the priesthood (I do firmly believe in the priesthood of all believers, although I believe that clergy should have a priestly function during the sacraments) and the infallibility of the Pope (because I just have issues with any human being infallible). There are other issues, but those are the two that are major stumbling blocks and are keeping me Protestant.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on ecumenism. I'd love to hear your thoughts/responses, and especially your experiences with other Christian traditions. 

No comments: