
As a United Methodist pastor, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that today is the anniversary of John Wesley's (the founder of Methodism) "Aldersgate experience." Read the following excerpt from his May 24, 1738 Journal entry:
"In the evening, I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther's Preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death."
Before the above experience, Wesley was just any old Oxford don and Anglican priest. After that experience, he became a phenomenal preacher, leader, teacher, and administrator. He founded the Methodist movement in England, which eventually moved across the ocean to America. Many scholars have said that the Methodist movement prevented England from having an equivalent of the French Revolution.
NEVER, NEVER underestimate the power that God can work through a human life!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment