I need to adjust the pregnancy ticker on the blog, because it's now a week off. At my ultrasound on the 24th (the day before my grandmother died), I was measuring one week behind my initial due date (based on my cycle), so they changed my official due date to March 3 (it was February 24, which would have been Nani's 93rd birthday). So, as of right now, I am 10 weeks and 5 days pregnant.
Now that I'm moving into the "safer" zone of pregnancy (meaning a miscarriage is becoming less and less likely), I/we have begun thinking and planning about important stuff. Like, oh say, where is this kid going to SLEEP? We have a Pack and Play with bassinet, so he/she will be in that for the first few months, unless he/she takes after Big Sister*. As for a permanent sleeping arrangement, we have an initial plan. We are blessed with a four-bedroom house, and we think we're going to move the office downstairs to our living room and turn the former office into the baby's room. This way, we'll still have a guest room and office space. I suggested that the kids could share a room, but James vetoed that idea, especially if baby is a boy. Our current plan is to let Susanna keep her furniture and buy new furniture for Baby...although we're going to spend a lot less than last time. We will move the glider from Susanna's room into the nursery.
I've accepted the fact that we're probably not going to be able to avoid buying a double stroller, since S has yet to walk. I've found one that I like (you can see it by clicking here) and am trying to find it used on Craigslist. I might be able to get away without one for a while, if I use the Baby Bjorn (oh, how I'd love an Ergo, but have yet to find one used OR a friend who can loan me one) or a sling (I don't have one of those, but can find a used one for $10 or so).
Next to furniture and a double stroller, our other necessary purchase will be a breast pump for me. I borrowed my cousin's Pump in Style last time and gave it back to her when she had #2. She offered it back to me, but thought it would be ages/possibly never before I had a second child, so told her to pass it on to someone else. So, I'm thinking about a Med*ela Pump in Style Ad*vanced. Even if nursing goes great this time around (remember how I exclusively pumped for six months?) I will still want/need a good pump to build up a good storage of milk for when I'm not with Baby or have supply issues.
Other than those items (and bedding, can't forget bedding)...I think we'll have everything we NEED. Except for clothes, but if it's a boy, our friends have promised to lend us their boy clothes. If it's a girl, we'll need to buy some clothes, since the seasons will have been different. But I can always get a bunch of second-hand clothes off Craigslist or at a thrift/consignment store.
Of course, I'd love a new baby monitor (the one we have is second-hand, gets lots of static, and only has one working parent unit) and a new diaper bag. We shall see. Those fall into the "want" category.
Any veteran, multi-child mommies have any advice? I'm trying to be fairly low-cost and low-maintenance with this child. Clearly, I have nothing against buying used/borrowing from friends, and am so thankful that we NOW live in an area with lots to offer young families (children's consignment stores! active Craigslist!) and have friends with young children living nearby.
*We had plans to keep Susanna in the PnP for 4-6 months, too. However, that all changed when she made it very clear that she preferred her crib and was a bad roommate. She slept in her crib almost exlusively from two weeks old.
No comments:
Post a Comment