Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mommy Guilt

I have a different work schedule for the next three weeks. Not sure if I mentioned it before. Anyway, Doug (my boss) told us residents that as long as there was 24-hour coverage, we could pretty much schedule our own time. So, we split each day into three slots: 12p-6p, 6p-12a, and 12a-6a. Judy (our staff chaplain) usually works 6a-2:30p. I've pretty much claimed the 12p-6p shift, so I can be with Susanna for part of the morning and still be home by 7 or so.

This morning, I woke up feeling not too hot. After breakfast, Susanna seemed a little fussy/pooped also, so I put her down for a nap. She slept for 2 1/2 hours. That should have been my first clue. She seemed a little warm, but I checked her temp and it was fine. When we got to daycare, she seemed excited to be there and "walked" (holding my hand) into her classroom. I headed to work.

I dropped her off around 10:45 or so. I walked in the office at 11:57 or so. Five minutes later, I get a call from the daycare director. Susanna has a fever of 101.5. I apologized profusely, explained that she hadn't had a fever two hours ago, and arranged for James to pick her up.

Now I feel guilty...I sent my baby off to daycare while she was feeling bad, and I should have picked up on the signs that she wasn't feeling well.

James is home with her now, and either he or my mom will stay with her tomorrow if needed. I have ONE DAY of PTO left.

I'm feeling cruddy, too. I hope it's nothing major. I really wanted to use that day of PTO for something somewhat fun...like an OB appointment, a children's consignment sale, and my brother's birthday party.

1 comment:

Devra said...

I remember when I went to Epcot center as a kid. There was a ride I went on in "Norway" and right before the ride dropped off the edge, a voice boomed out, "This is not the first time you will do this, and it most certainly won't be the last." And you know what? This applies to parenting. We all have experiences we may have realized something was afoot, but couldn't stop from happening. You did your best with what you felt at the time. What matters next is how you responded afterwards, which was utterly appropriate. Kids spike and decrease temps quickly, even MD's can miss the signs of a sick kid. Just like a roller coaster drop. : )

I hope you don't come down with the crud and I hope you let yourself off the guilt-o-meter too!