This afternoon, I took Susanna to her neurology appointment at CHKD (Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughters). James had a meeting, so he couldn't go with us. :( I was very impressed with the neurologist, Dr. N. He observed Susanna, examined her, and took a history of my pregnancy, her birth, and her development. His conclusion was that most likely, Susanna doesn't have anything that needs to be "fixed" (such as through surgery) or any major disorder. He basically diagnosed her with a developmental delay in gross motor skills...which we already knew about. He gave me two options: wait a few more months and see if she improves OR go ahead and have some diagnostic tests done to be "on the safe side." I chose option B. We've been waiting nine months already and she's had four months of physical therapy. I want to make sure there's nothing major going on, just for peace of mind.
So...he ordered a whole bunch of bloodwork (looked like every test you can have) and a MRI of her brain. The bloodwork we can do anytime; the MRI is scheduled for April 6. Since she's so young, she'll need to be sedated. We're also going to continue with her physical therapy and working with her at home. She appears to have a strong will, so maybe she's just not ready to walk, yet. I didn't walk until I was 21 months old or something like that, so maybe it's also a genetic thing. Who knows?
Regardless of her lack of mobility, she is an absolutely delightful, intelligent, and happy child. James and I feel very blessed to be her parents.
No comments:
Post a Comment