Pages

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

She's huge!

Susanna turned 18 months old on Sunday, and on Tuesday I took her for her 18-month check-up. She got a clean bill of health and weighs 24 lbs (50th percentile) and is 34" tall (95th percentile). Clearly, she is taking after her father in terms of height. That's fine, because I don't want her to hear short jokes for the rest of her life.

I love her pediatrician. She's easy to get along with, knows her stuff, and seems to be on the same wavelength with me. I came prepared to ask for a neurology referral, since Susanna is still not walking, even after three months of PT. However, her pedi beat me to it. As soon as I mentioned that she wasn't walking yet, the pedi said, "has she seen neurology yet? If not, I think it would be a good idea." The office called and set up an appointment right then, and we see the neurologist at CHKD (Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughters in Norfolk) next Thursday!

You may be asking, "why a neurology referral for delayed walking? Why not a developmental pediatrician or an orthopaedist?" Well...Susanna's main issue (according to her physical therapist, who I just love) is low muscle tone. And low muscle tone is a neurological issue. As far as we can tell, her bone structure is just fine. And a developmental pediatrician (while probably a good idea at some point) would probably just do an assessment and refer to neurology anyway. So...to neurology we'll go on March 12.

In other news, I'm sick again. I have a sore throat, a dry, hacking cough, and sinus congestion. Actually, James and I have been sick about 80% of the time since November. I'm blaming a big part of it on Susanna being in daycare and bringing germs home. My spending lots of time in the ER might have something to do with it, too. You know what the funny thing is? Susanna will get a minor case of the sniffles, and two days later James or I (or both of us) will come down with a cold/bronchitis/sinus infection. Or, she'll have a few messy/explosive diapers and a few days later, James/me/both of us will come down with a GI bug that kicks our butts. This is NOT FAIR. However, I am thankful that Susanna has been mostly healthy. With the exception of two ear infections and a minor case of bronchiolitis, she's been healthy this winter. Except, of course, for the sniffles and messy diapers, but I don't count those as being "sick."

No comments: