I've been gently reminded by my grandmother that it has been a long time since I posted. That's mostly because I've been busy. Susanna is now sleeping through the night (meaning 8+ hours at a time), but she never naps during the day. So I was able to get NOTHING accomplished for the last few weeks of my maternity leave. However, I am sleeping somewhat decently at night. That's good, because I returned to work last week. Don't expect to see much posting in November, either. Charge Conference is on the 29th.
An update on the breastfeeding front...it's been a rocky ride. I am still pretty much pumping exclusively, simply because it's less frustrating to pump than to deal with our nursing challenges. I finally got her to latch on (thanks to the wonders of nipple shells) and we had a few happy weeks of nursing. Then things got rocky (it seemed like she wasn't getting enough and my supply started dropping) and I started pumping again to build my supply back up. It's still not up, and I've had to dip into my (small) stash of frozen milk and even supplement with formula a few times. However, I have an iron will when I so desire, and it is my firm desire to supply my daughter with breast milk until my supply dries up, or until her first birthday, whichever comes first. Therefore, every three hours during waking hours and once at night I hook myself up to my Medela Pump in Style for 20 minutes. Why am I torturing myself this way, you ask? Because of this:
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20061209/bob8.asp
The health benefits of breastmilk are incomparable and obviously God-designed. There's nothing wrong with formula; it's a wonderful invention and provides adequate nutrition for babies whose mothers can't breastfeed or who are adopted/in foster care. In fact, I usually wind up giving Susanna formula at least once a week. But formula was designed as a substitute for breast milk. Even the best scientific minds will never be able to perfectly replicate breast milk. When I feed Susanna "Mommy's Milk", she receives antibodies from me that help her immune system resist infection, viruses, etc. This is especially true if I get sick; she'll receive antibodies that will help her fight that specific illness. Of course she's still going to get sick at times, but it is my hope that by feeding her primarily breastmilk she'll be healthier than if she was primarily formula-fed. There's also the fact that breastmilk is free and formula is not free. I'm getting frugal in my old age. :)
So, I'll keep popping the Brewer's Yeast, eating oatmeal for breakfast, and hook myself up to the pump in order to provide the best food possible for my daughter. But if I have to switch to formula at some point (due to a low supply), I'll do so knowing that I tried my darndest to feed her breastmilk and I'll be satisfied that she is still receiving the nutrients she needs to grow and thrive. And thanks to the nice folks at Similac, Nestle, and Enfamil, I have enough samples to last a month and enough coupons that I wouldn't be paying full cost for another two or three months.
I'd better end this now...it's time for a pumping session. Moo...moo...moo...
No comments:
Post a Comment