Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Babies "R" Us

So, I spent my day off today in Durham. James had to drop his truck off at the Line-X dealer (in Durham) to get his bedliner sprayed on, so I dropped him off and picked him up at work. I also got a yummy BBQ lunch out of the deal. I took the opportunity of being in the "big city" to stop by Babies "R" Us and look at nursery furniture and other baby stuff.

This was only the second time I had been in a BRU. The other time, I was shopping for a gift and spent a whopping 10 minutes inside the store. Today I had more time, so I wandered around and looked at everything. Oh my gosh, the place is HUGE. It's kind of scary how big it is, and how much baby stuff you can get. I have a feeling that whenever we go to register (which may be soon, since James is dying to use the "zappy gun"), it will take several hours, and maybe even several trips.

I do not, however, think we will be buying our nursery furniture at BRU. I wasn't impressed with their variety or quality. We'll check out several other places, like USA Baby or the Bassett factory showroom, before making a decision. I may also see if there are any good children's consignment shops in Greensboro or Durham. We're buying a new crib for safety reasons (everything I've read STRONGLY suggests that), but I have no trouble buying good-quality secondhand "case pieces" like the changing table, dresser, glider, etc.

So...question for my readers with children: any good crib recommendations? I've heard that Bassett, ChildCraft/Legacy, Munire, and Ragazzi are good buys based on "bang for your buck." But I'd love to hear your opinion. Either leave a comment or e-mail me at patti.money@gmail.com

1 comment:

No Longer In Crisis said...

We got our crib used (*gasp*) though we could still look up the make and model - we bought the crib and mattress from a woman selling hers in the paper for $150 - and they brought it to our place and her hubby even set it up for us. It originally came from JC Penney, and has been pretty nice.

Do you have yahoo groups "freecycle" and "cheapcycle" in your area? If so, get on yahoo and start getting the posts for the groups - I've bought and sold (and given away) so much stuff there. Folks post bassinets, clothes, gear, baby furniture - all kinds of stuff - at really cheap prices.

My favorite "brand new" item I bought - a lightweight Jeep umbrella stroller from Babies R Us - I think it was all of $40, but if you fly anywhere, you don't want to lug a huge stroller around. But this bad boy has survived airports, numerours flights, dirt roads - and it is so light and compact - best yet, Cookie loves to ride in it.

My other mom-secret: have several "cheap and cheerful" diaper bags around - they tens to get funky, full of assorted crumbs, dirty clothes, funky stuff - and you'll want a couple you can throw into the washing machine to "serilize" and de-funk. We never bought an expensive fashion-statement bag, and I am glad I did not waste my money there.

Also, the NoJo baby sling was well worth the money. Geez, this is turning into a term paper!!

Hugs, Tamara