James and I love apple butter. It's very yummy on biscuits or cinnamon raisin bagels. I've had a hard time finding apple butter here in Danville, though. The stores only have two varieties and it only comes in GIGANTIC jars. So I discovered a solution...
I can make my own apple butter!
I got some apples (fresh from the tree!) from a couple in my church, along with a recipe for homemade apple butter. I peeled, cored, and chopped about 12 apples. Then I put them in the crock pot, along with some sugar and a good measure of cinnamon and cloves. I also put in a smidgen of allspice and nutmeg, just for variety. I mixed it all up, put the crock pot on "low", and walked away. About twelve hours later I had a lovely concoction that is definitely apple butter. It's not the best apple butter I've ever tasted, but it's edible and fairly yummy. Maybe later this week I'll try to make a larger batch with the rest of the apples.
In other domestic news, I'm determined to have a garden next spring. We have an acre of land, so I might as well use some of it for a garden! I've started a compost pile in a far corner of the backyard. I'll keep adding to it, and hopefully we'll have some good fertilizer in six months or so!
No comments:
Post a Comment