Way back in 1999, when my bacherlor's degree from Emory & Henry College was fresh off the press, I took a job as the Administrative Assistant at an Episcopal church in Northern Virginia. I wasn't quite ready to go to seminary, and my degree in religion didn't make me very marketable in the job market. Church jobs (like as a youth minister) were few, far between, and competitive. So, after a few months of looking and dead-end temp jobs, I found out about this position, interviewed for it, and was hired on the spot. I worked at St. Francis for a year and a half, and left to attend Asbury. James and I were actually married at St. Francis (with two officiants: one Methodist and one Baptist) and held our reception in their fellowship hall.
One of the priests that I worked with was named Hentzi. He was the younger of the two and was the Associate Rector. Hentzi took me under his wing and we spent a lot of time talking about life and ministry and theology. Twelve years ago, he had been married for about ten years and had two young children. He was also the age that I am right now. I have a feeling that we were both jealous of the others' life at times...me wanting a spouse and children and him wanting PEACE AND QUIET. I now understand how he felt, and why he wanted to wring my neck some days. (: Right after James and I got married (and moved to Kentucky), Hentzi and his family moved to a new church, and we lost contact.
But! Through the wonders of the Internet, a Google search, and his unique name, I found my long-lost friend and mentor. I left a comment on his blog, and we shall see if he a) actually remembers me, b) remembers me fondly or as that ditzy administrative assistance, and c) responds.
Regardless of the outcome, it was nice to find out that Hentzi is alive and well, and so are his wife and children. And once again, I think the Internet is amazing.
Now, my next task is to track down Bob, the other priest I worked with...maybe he has a blog as well?
1 comment:
LOL..most of us do have blogs these days...I hope you find them. Both and can renew friendships!
Post a Comment