Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Second Kid Gets the Shaft, Indeed

Greg is due on either February 24 (according to my dates) or March 3 (according to my ultrasounds). He'll come when he wants to, but he's coming soon. The good news? Right now, he does have someplace to sleep...a nice Pack and Play with a bassinet that his loving sister is handing down to him. The bad news? He doesn't really have a nursery right now. His nursery is our office, which is still fairly full with my desk and bookshelves, all of which need to be moved downstairs, where our new office/living room is located. The nursery situation will change very soon, because Greg's furniture (ordered YESTERDAY from Babies R Us) should arrive within two weeks. It's this pattern: http://www.babiitalia.com/html/bi_pts.html

Thanks to an awesome sale and a coupon, we were able to buy the crib, combo dresser/changing table AND a five-drawer dresser for the same price as just the crib and the combo dresser (our original plan). And even once we throw in the bedding (not purchased, but we know what sort of theme we want), mattress, and bed rails, we will have spent SIGNIFICANTLY less than we did on Susanna's furniture (we didn't get as good of a deal with her stuff). We're moving the glider from her room to Greg's room, so didn't have to worry about that.

I'll confess to feeling slightly guilty that here I am, 34-35 weeks pregnant, and just beginning to put the nursery together. At this point with Susanna, we had everything set up (for the most part), clothes were washed and put in drawers, and I may even have had my hospital bag packed. However, I also wasn't chasing around a two-year-old while in my third trimester of pregnancy. And since Greg doesn't really have many clothes yet (we've bought him two outfits; our friend Shelly bought him a couple cute 3-6 month outfits), it's not like it's a big deal that we have no place to put the clothes. Our friends Joel and Melissa (the ones we went to Disney with) have graciously offered to loan us their son's clothes (he's about a year older than Greg), but we need to pick them up. Which we'll do in the next few weeks. They also have a few things that we lent them and a few items of baby equipment that they're lending us.

Things we still need to buy:
-changing pad cover
-breast pump (I may rent one for the first few months...still deciding)
-Non-pink washcloths and towels
-bedding
-mattress
-Dreft
-Diapers
-Paint (and paint the room)
-A double stroller (I want to buy a Sit and Stand), but that can wait a few weeks. I've been looking for one on Craigslist and at local consignment shops, but have had no luck.

I could also use a new baby monitor, because...well, I just want a new baby monitor. Susanna's technically works fine, but the second parent unit died a while ago and I can't make it work with batteries, so it has to be plugged in all the time. We shall see. A new monitor is not as important as some of the other stuff I've mentioned.

Regardless of our lack of preparation, we are very excited to meet our little guy in a few weeks. I have an ultrasound on the 28th to check his size and the level of amniotic fluid, and I can't wait to get to "see" him again. I guess this time, we realize that Greg isn't going to care if he doesn't have a perfect nursery from day one, or if he has to use his sister's hand-me-downs. And I definitely don't think either of the above will affect his acceptance into Harvard. :)

No comments: