Some of you may have heard about Stephenie Meyer's series called Twilight. There are four books in the series, and it's about vampires. That's all I'm going to tell you, so I don't ruin it for those who haven't finished/read it yet.
I began "reading" (listening on CD) these books because a) they're incredibly popular and b) two of my KY friends (hi Alyssa and Stephanie!) have raved about the books on THEIR blogs. I wasn't sure what to think, especially with the vampire element. But I'm open-minded and willing to try new things, so I checked out the first book on CD from my library (I'm frugal; I rarely buy fiction books unless I know I'm going to read them again and again and again. These books qualify, but I haven't bought them yet) and...
Oh. My. Gosh. These books are good. There's Twilight, then New Moon, then Eclipse, then Breaking Dawn (the final book). I just finished Breaking Dawn. It's taken me almost three months to get through the series because I keep having to wait until the book on CD version is available at the library (I was on the "hold list" for the last book for about two months). Then it takes two weeks of commuting to finish the book. If I had read them the traditional way, I could have been done within a week.
It's an incredible series, and very "clean" in terms of morality and ethics. It's marketed for young adults (teenagers) and written by a Mormon, which are two possible reasons. I'd rate the books at PG-13 because there are some hints of violence and teenage hormones. There are some very strong themes and messages that run through the series...love, loyalty, self-denial, family, etc.
If you liked Harry Potter at all, you will probably like this series. I'm very sad that I've read all the books...I guess I'll just have to re-read them for the fun of it.
For those who have read the series, I was fairly happy with the ending, although I can think of a few spin-off possibilities...
3 comments:
Glad you liked the books! So, so, good!!
Patti! I am so glad you read the Twilight series. I loved it. Also, that is not necessarily the end of the series. Stephanie Meyer was writing a book from Edward's perspective, but someone stole the book and posted it. She is not going to finish that one--actually the unfinished version is available on her website. Cross your fingers that we find out more about the Twilight characters in future books (especially since Harry Potter is over).
Glad to see you on the Twilight bandwagon! Meghan is absolutely in love with the books as are her friends. They know all there is to know about Stephanie Meyer and all things Edward related! I think she has read them about 10 times each!
Post a Comment