Thank you Lord, for getting me through my first Sunday!
I was a tad nervous this morning, realizing that: a) I would be meeting most of my congregants for the first time, b) that I would be celebrating Communion for the first time. and c) that I would be preaching for only the 15th time or so. I hadn't realized just how many details go into planning a corporate (i.e. group) worship service, especially one with Communion.
However, everything went fairly smoothly. I kept forgetting what was happening next, and kept glancing back at the bulletin (that I had typed, no less) to jog my memory. The pulpit is a few inches too high for me, so for most of the sermon I sort of "hung out" on the right or left side.
One of the funniest/awkward moments came when I began to prepare the Communion elements. I removed the cloths covering them and discovered...Saran Wrap. Yes, our very practical Communion Steward had covered the juice and bread with plastic wrap. Makes sense, actually, since she had probably set everything up last night. The plastic wrap kept out bugs and prevented stains. However, it took a few extra minutes for me to remove the plastic wrap. Next month I'll know to remove it before the service. :)
My congregation is small; about 50-60 people were in worship this Sunday. However, they clearly love the Lord with all their hearts. And many of them already love their pastor; I received about 10 hugs! They were very gracious and welcoming toward me and James. And several people asked how Woody was doing, too!
Now that I have a full week to prepare for next Sunday, I should feel more "in control". Maybe by mid-week I will have had time to unpack my books, too!
2 comments:
YAY!!! Congratualtions on your first Sunday! That crazty Saran Wrap. Can't live with it...can't live with out it :) Sounds like your church is going to be wonderful and that you will some great people taking care of you. Add another couple of hugs from Meredith and me. Talk to you soon triple Sis!
Chalmer
congrats!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment